Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Why are schools allowed to ignore and expel students when

Customer Question

Why are schools allowed to ignore and expel students when it's proven the problem the student has is LDs not being lazy.
I was kicked out of college when the testing the school made the arrangements for me to take proved I had been working my ass off to pass the classes, but should have had DS helping.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you had asked the school for reasonable accommodations for your learning disability and they refused to provide the accommodations, then they have violated the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act and you could sue them for discrimination if you were expelled for your disability and their refusal to give you accommodations.

The student has to present medical documentation to the school regarding their LD and what accommodations they require for those disabilities. It is the school's obligation to provide those. If the school refuses, then the school is liable to you and at this point if you have tried everything else, your final option here is going to be to get a local attorney to sue the school for discrimination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem I found was none of the spineless "Local Attorneys" wanted to go up against the school and it's money while I was trying to find local answers the obscenely short shelf life for the ADA ran out, six months when you're doing everything the school counselors tell you to do, the schools chain of command and then being denied every possible legal chance to be allowed to return to school because of LDs the school ignored when they're the ones trained in spotting these things and responding, instead the money was going into the administrations party funds because it was obvious they did nothing to help students that had serious real life LD problems they had no way to help the student.
You have to have lawyers around that have balls, they turn them in at graduation here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely nothing new, I had hoped since it wasn't someone here they knew a different song. The schools here can claim almost all the scum, in elected office now, from local up to an including federal. What makes it an even bigger joke two of the clowns are running for High Office and they can't even get a hometown school to treat it's students like they cared.
Well you didn't earn the money, but you'll take it anyway, because it's the only reason a person becomes a lawyer.

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to hear this happened in this manner, I am afraid that is not within our control as we can report on what the law is and tell people their options based on their facts. If the statute of limitations ran out, that is beyond our control.

I do not know why the lawyers refused your case unless they had some conflict with the school, in which case you would have had to go to the nearest larger city for an attorney who did not have a conflict.

However, if your statute of limitations has expired, legally no attorney can go against that or they would be disbarred for even trying to file. You are asking the impossible and if you were expecting the impossible I am sorry, but we cannot go against the law here on the SOL. If the SOL is expired, everyone's hands are tied and no suit can be filed.