Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

A car left the road, t my mailbox and home. What are the

Customer Question

A car left the road, hit my mailbox and home. What are the Insurance Co obligations for repairs.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The driver is legally responsible for paying to repair the damage to your house and mailbox, as the one who caused the injury. If you know who that is, you could sue that person to avoid having your insurance premiums increase.

Whether your insurance company is liable depends on the specific terms of your policy. There should be a clause in there that states how much they will pay for property damage caused by third parties. Usually, when someone hits your house with a car, that's going to fall within the normal property damage coverage. If you don't have a copy of your policy, the first step is to get it. Then call the insurance company to file a claim. If they are going to claim that you're not covered, ask them to tell you SPECIFICALLY where the policy says they don't have to pay for this. That allows you to evaluate on your own whether they're telling the truth, which may help you determine what action to take next. If the first person you talk to when you call the insurance company isn't helpful, ask to talk to a supervisor. Or another. They're required to use good faith in administrating your policy, which means, if they decline to pay for something, they're going to need to explain to you why.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.