Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Upon my death does my last Social Security deposit have to

Customer Question

Upon my death does my last Social Security deposit have to be returned?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, a person must be alive for the whole month for which a benefit is paid. In most instances, the check you receive in a given month represents payment
for the preceding month. In other words, by design, the check (or direct bank deposit) arrives after the month for which it applies. In situations where a recipient dies late in the month, the Social Security Administration often is not notified of the death in time to stop the payment. When that happens, the check must be returned.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!