N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

Is it illegal if you are afraid life because you change your

Customer Question

Is it illegal if you are afraid for your life because you change your religion and want to report to the police about a certain religious group?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

It is illegal to threaten to kill someone, but it not illegal to report such a threat to a law enforcement agency.

You can report it to both the local police and the FBI, but I would urge you to report it to a law enforcement agency.

Apostasy is not a crime in the US; it is protected by the First Amendment.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Friends are telling me to watch out. Not to walk alone, to stay alert. I have fear of someone but I am not 100% sure since I don't want to be sued for accusing them without proof, what do you think?

I think you have the right to tell the police that you are concerned about being harmed by your former coreligionists. You cannot be sued or prosecuted for making a truthful report to the police even if you do not have solid evidence.

It is said that sunshine is the best disinfectant. If whoever means you harm knows that they will be immediately treated as suspects if anything bad happens to you, that might discourage them from harming you.

You can legally carry pepper spray in Illinois other than in Chicago. See

http://www.selfdefenseninja.com/pepper-spray-laws-can-cant-state/

I believe the best one may be this.