Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My towns chief of police is married to a district court

Customer Question

My towns chief of police is married to a district court judge in the same town.
There is definite problems with perception by population and suspected issues of fairness and impartiality.
Are there agencies that investigate?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The State Supreme Court Judicial Ethics Panel investigates this potential conflict of interest. Also, the state attorney general can look into the conflict of interest on the part of the person who is chief of police. It is a major conflict of interest if this judge is hearing any cases involving the police department. If the judge is not hearing any cases from the police department they could avoid a conflict of interest and ethics violation.