Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

My son lost s phone on the school grounds. It was found and

Customer Question

My son lost his phone on the school grounds. It was found and turned to administration. his phone received couple of drug related massages from fellow students. They called the police and they confiscated the phone because it was password ***** They want to get a search warrant so they can unlock the phone for further action. Is that legal? by the way they searched my son's locker and back pack and there was nothing on him
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, if the phone was lost and found by the school staff and the phone received text messages related to criminal drug activity, then the school has legal right and duty to report such criminal issue to the police and police can in fact open criminal investigation and secure any evidence of criminal activity, such as a cell phone, until a search warrant is obtained to unlock the phone.

It is important to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney to represent your son in this matter and to have this local attorney handle any and all communication with police or anyone else about the case.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com

www.martindale.com

www.lawyers.com

www.legalmatch.com

When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.