Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

We purchased a little dog from the humane society six months

Customer Question

We purchased a little dog from the humane society six months ago. The wife (former owner) took him there and release him while the husband was away somewhere. The husband said he had no idea of what happened to the dog until just a few weeks ago and now he wants him back. The couple has gotten a divorce and he said he owned the dog one month before they got married (there were married about four years according to the lawyers letter), so he was the legal owner of him and not her. He has gotten a lawyer to get the dog back and the lawyer got our information from the humane society under false pretenses and has written us and phoned us demanding that we return the dog to the original owners. So my question is, do we have any rights here? Do we have to give him back? We can't afford a lawyer and we love the dog so much and he has bonded with us. Can you give me some help here?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You are an innocent purchaser for value. You do not have to return the dog. If the husband wants to sue someone he can sue his wife and the humane society. You have no liability.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?