Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

An ex boyfriend left a hand gun at my house. The

Customer Question

An ex boyfriend left a hand gun at my house. The relationship ended (and very badly). The gun is still in my home and I have no idea if it's registered or legal or what. I don't want it in my house and have no idea what to do with it. Please advise.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling firearms related issues...including frequently lecturing on the subject. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The best thing to do is call your local sheriff office and tell them of the situation. Request that they take the weapon and hold it. You can give them your ex's contact information for him to pick it up if it is a legal firearm.

The reason I say you should call ahead is that you do not want to show up at a sheriff office unannounced with a firearm on your person. Moreover, it is against the law for a civilian to enter a law enforcement office with a gun without permission.

Make sure they give you an acknowledgement that you turned the weapon over to them which includes someone's signature from the office, the date, time and location and the description of the weapon.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively.

Best wishes going forward!

Let me know if you have any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible going forward. Thanks

Just checking one last time to make sure you are good to go. Let me know.