Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I fired my attorney reasons one of which was the fact that

Customer Question

I fired my attorney for several reasons one of which was the fact that at one point he had misplaced my file in his office. When I received my records from his office after his dismissal some of my personal records were not in the file and some documents of another client were included. I am very concerned about my records If I have someones records than who has mine. Some of the records were very sensitive Do I have a case for legal malpractice
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

You can sue here for malpractice if he was negligent with your files and you were harmed by it.You can and should file a state lawyer complaint against his license.You have great facts here to pursue both.

Reference..

http://www.americanbar.org/portals/public_resources/aba_home_front/information_center/working_with_lawyer/when_things_go_wrong.html#q2

I hope you can get some justice here by filing suit and a lawyer complaint too with the state.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When u say that I need to be harmed by it does that include potential harm of things such as identity theft or loss of privacy or does it mean immediate financial loss?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You can claim this you may need an expert witness to testify about such potential damages.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You need some financial testimony to support such a claim for damages, perhaps a forensic accountant or someone similar.It can be done though..

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Maybe your malpractice lawyer could have another lawyer testify to harm here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I think you have great facts to seek such damages here.Thanks again and the best to you with this.