John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Why was my SS check cut over 100 dollars this month?

Customer Question

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

The two reasons the federal government would withhold from your social security are an over-payment that has not been made whole or you owe the federal government money - namely back taxes or defaulted federal school loans. Over-payments can happen for any number of reasons including the simple miscalculation of your benefits or change in life circumstance. In both these cases the SSA should, and that agency frequently mismanages it's mail, have told you approximately 30 days ago about a possible withholding and that you had 30 days to get the funds paid or they would withhold.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.