Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

There is a rule in my ua pension stating once I retire I

Customer Question

there is a rule in my ua pension stating once I retire I will no longer be able to work in the same industry is this something that can be enforced .As I have an opportunity to continue to work at my position & collect my pension
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, these rules in the pension plan are effectively like components of a contract. If you are found to be in violation of these rules, then your pension can be affected negatively and they can even seek an injunction against you, which would prevent you from working in the same field.

The stated reason for this relative to US Pension has always been that if you retire and then come back to work, you are not paying into the pension pool which keeps retirees able to receive a pension. Essentially, you are taking a job from a guy that could, in theory being paying for your (and others) retirements.

I am aware of a few challenges to these rules, but none of the changes have been successful. You can typically work in other fields, but are not allowed to work in the same or similar field. I wish I had better news for you.

Please rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars) and let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in with you to see if you had additional questions? I want to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible going forward. Thanks!