Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

OUr newly formed 50 1 (c) (3) organization has a stated

Customer Question

OUr newly formed 50
1 (c) (3) organization has a stated mission limited to serving low income Hispanic families and children in Broward county Florida.
A Board member has questioned whether this limitation violates anti-discrimination laws and must be broadened to include any and all low income families and children.
Is it legal to for ad 50 1 c 3 to limit its mission to one group of national origin?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

No it is not considered discriminatory for you to serve a particular group of people.This is actually very common.It does restrict who may contribute to the charity here but it is not illegal or discriminatory.There are many others that do this exact same thing.

Here is a list and you can see they all set this out in their mission statement.

http://www.searchlatino.com/orgs/

It is perfectly proper for you to pick out a group in your mission statement that you want to serve and direct the 501c to serve those in your mission only.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.