Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was abused by a member of the big brothers association

Customer Question

I was abused by a member of the big brothers association when I was a kid. I wont get into details at this time. However it happened a long time ago and I was seriously affected growing up. Do I have a civil case against them?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. This is governed by the following statutes:

N.Y. Civil Prac. Law § 215

N.Y. Civil Prac. Law § 214

N.Y. Civil Prac. Law §213-c

I am afraid that there is no extended civil statute of limitations for sexual abuse. It is three years from time of event, but can be extended to be five years from the date of the event if one was a minor.

I am not sure how old you were at the time and when this happened, but the following applies, so it may or may be too late depending on the age and date of events.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!