Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was charged with False Pretense charge in April of this

Customer Question

I was charged with False Pretense charge in April of this year. suspended from my job for 6 months without pay embarrassed shamed humiliated. I also worked at school where my children attend so they have had mental anquish also. Can I sue for this. case was dismissed sept.28 lack of evidence. this disrupted my and family life for 6 months. the charge carried 10 years. very stressful
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Mississippi. I'll be glad to assist.

It is POSSIBLE that you may have grounds to sue for false arrest, malicious prosecution and negligent/intentional infliction of emotional distress.

This issue totally turns on whether or not there is probable cause......which is whether the officer had a REASONABLE basis for believing that a crime may have been committed in order to charge someone.

Thus, if the state/county/city can prove that there was a reasonable basis for the arrest and charge, then it would defeat your claims. But if it cannot prove this, you should consult a personal injury lawyer about pursuing a claim.