Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I can take legal action-someone I was dating taped us having

Customer Question

I can take legal action-someone I was dating taped us having sex without my permission. I clearly asked and he denied as he was filming ...
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

You would potentially be able to address this matter in the courts civilly and/or criminally. In civil court you could sue for the invasion of your privacy. This also runs afoul of New York's Unlawful Surveillance Law, which is a felony in this state. If he shows the video to others, he would face additional criminal penalties.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I know if others viewed this ? The video is 1 min 30 seconds long. My face is clearly on it. Honestly, is it worth pursuing ? He's a correctional officer. How many other ppl did he violate like this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

You wouldn't necessarily know if others viewed the tape. And it doesn't matter whether others viewed it or not when it comes to suing or having him prosecuted. It's sufficient that he videotaped you for his own sexual gratification at a time and place when you had an expectation of privacy.

Whether it's worth pursuing would be up to you, as you would have to be willing to testify against him if necessary, or the charges wouldn't stick. But if you brought criminal charges, the state could potentially obtain a warrant and see what other tapes he may have.