Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

26 October 2015 01:24 if i get waiver, do i have to payback

Customer Question

26 October 2015 01:24 if i get waiver , do i have to payback all of it? how much of it can i pay back and still hold my benefits? i took your advice from 2 wks ago and hired a lawyer to finalize a special needs trust for the rest of my annuities. i goofed.
but please, i can't pay all of that back...
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome back.If SS finds hardship here thay may waive all of it.At worst you get longer payback or a partial reduction.Reporting this limits your problems and shows good faith.I mean they will find this and the longer you wait the worse the damage.They would work on a plan if they do not agree to waive it all.

An SNT here also shows you made a good faith effort to avoid future problems here.SSI is sooo picky here , any changes have to be reported.Don't beat yourself up here you are taking the proper corrective actions here. The SNT avoids future entanglements preserves SSI and medicaid down the road.Medicaid can be very valuable it has long term care if needed down the road.

I appreciate the chance to help you again.Wish you the best here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.