Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I had a person to build a sunroom but he said that I didn't

Customer Question

I had a person to build a sunroom but he said that I didn't need a permit he hardly ever worked and still didn't finish and I paid him all of the money except 1000.00 dollars is their anything I can do about it will I be able to get a permit to get it finished.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can retroactively get a building permit to finish out the sunroom. However, there will likely be a fine associated with the retroactive permit and you will have to get an inspector from the city to sign off on the permit being issued as well. The best way to handle this issue, in my experience, it is contact a reputable home improvement contractor or builder that is licensed with the state and bonded to seek the approval either with you or on your behalf.

They can use their goodwill to make the situation right. However, you can expect to have to pay a fine since the building did commence without a permit being first issued...even though you were taken for a ride...in effect...by the previous contractor.

Under the circumstances, you could take the previous contractor to small claims court to recover your damages associated with the fine you will likely have to pay as well as other reasonable expenses.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please rate my answer positively as well (4 or 5 stars).

Best wishes going forward!

Did you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!