Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

Need a small letter of affidavit to access a bank account in

Customer Question

Need a small letter of affidavit to access a bank account in Florida
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what the bank is requiring in the letter? Different banks look for different things - circumstances dependent. Moreover, in many cases, the banks will actually have an affidavit for you to sign and have notarized on file. Let me know, I look forward to helping out. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they just informed me that they needed a small letter of affidavit which will allow me access the a bank account and safety deposit box that is in my Brother in laws name. He recently passed and left my brother and I Co trustees however this account and box was not listed in the trust. We are also beneficiaries of the will. We have accessed all other accounts in Wells Fargo bank however they were included in the trust !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the letter is from a probate Judge giving us permission to access the accounts I need to know how I go about obtaining the letter ??

Okay...good deal. Here is the template to follow:

- Identify yourself by name and date of birth

- Identify briefly the situation, including the name of your brother in law, the fact that he is deceased (attach a copy of his death certificate);

- Identify that you are a trustee and need access to the account (attach a copy of the pertinent part of the trust documents which reflect this);

- State that though the account is not listed you are obligated to account for it;

- Request permission to access the account.

You then need to have a signature line for yourself (and perhaps your brother) - and date line corresponding as well.

You then need to have the same for the probate judge that is handling the matter - and a date line.

You will have to set an appointment with the probate judge through his clerk or secretary. Sign the letter (addressed to the bank) in the presence of the judge and have it either stamped by the court or notarized...either will suffice.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars) as well.

I will be happy to review your document before you meet with the judge.

Best wishes!

Did you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!