Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

What is the Texas law code effective date divorce in Texas

Customer Question

What is the Texas law code for the effective date for a divorce in Texas
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Tex. Fam. Code, Section 6.801 provides that neither spouse may remarry for 31 days after the date the divorce decree is entered. For all purposes other than remarriage, the divorce is considered final when the divorce decree is signed by a judge and entered on the docket unless the decree itself gives a different date. There isn't a specific statute that says that - it's just in the nature of dating and filing court documents. The prohibition on remarriage within 31 days can be waived by a judge for good cause. Section 6.802 (same link).

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.