Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I am 18 in massachusetts. I got into an accident and no one

Customer Question

I am 18 in massachusetts. I got into an accident and no one was hurt. However I was driving with a permit. I left the permit at home and was driving unnacompanied. I will get something in the mail from court. What's the worst I could get for this considering I was unaccompanied and unlicensed ? Also the police kept my ID. Do I get that back ?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

For a first offense permit violation, the penalty is a 60 day suspension, plus a $100 fee to reinstate your permit once the 60 days are up. You'll also have to reapply for your permit at that time. If you were driving between midnight and 5 am, were speeding or were using your phone at the time of the accident, there could be additional penalties. This is not the type of thing where you could go to jail.

https://www.massrmv.com/rmv/jol/jol_penalties_chart.htm

It doesn't really make sense for them to take your ID, since that doesn't give you the right to drive, anyway, but yes, you should get it back once you go to court.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I understood that. But the fact that I was driving with my permit at home and could not present it to the officer, would that have legal consequence? Also I understand the fines for driving unnacompanied but what about the fact that I was in an accident? Won't that affect the legal consequences more? If so how?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also should mention I am in DCF or state custody and live in a foster home. Will this affect my state funds? Or will me being a ward of the state subject me to any more consequence?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You're liable for the accident, but the statute doesn't say anything about additional penalties for causing an accident when driving as a permitted driver. G. L. c. 90, Section 8B.

If you can produce the permit, showing that you had one, they usually don't charge you for not physically carrying it with you - especially when there's the other violation.