Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

What is the age of consent for a relationship and sex in

Customer Question

What is the age of consent for a relationship and sex in Washington State and New Jersey?
I began a relationship with a 17 year old girl. She lives in Cathlamet, Washington and I live in NJ. I checked the laws and the age of consent in both states is 16 years.
Is this accurate and does that mean the relationship is legal?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss your issue and provide you information in this regard.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Since this is Washington State, the age of consent is 16 years.
So yes, both in NJ state and Washington the legal age is 16 years to consent to having sexual relations.
But without sex being involved, the relationship would have no restrictions other that what the parents would impose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that works out perfectly because her birthday is ***** July and we aren't getting together until then, so we should be good.
What about phone sex and things similar to that?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Most likely, the law would prohibit phone sex and similar activity if she is not 16 years.
Moreover, you need to keep in mind, that her parents might not approve and could report it.
I suggest it would be more prudent to refrain from any sexual contact. I mean if you met this person online, you don't really even know if they are who they say they are. There are scams where a girl will entice a guy to send pictures, etc and the next thing some man calls and says he is the Father.
He demands money or he will report it to the police because "his little girl" is only 13 years or something like that. So all I can suggest is to tread cautiously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so it is better I avoid anything sexual. I can deal with that.
And it should be noted that I have not sent any kind of sexual pictures to the girl or indulged in blackmail or been a victim of it.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
I am just saying what is possible or only suggesting some possibilities.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Yes. And I am only suggesting what is possible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for the advice.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome for the information.
Good luck and who knows, it could all be legitimate.