How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24496
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem where im being victimized by the local

Customer Question

I have a problem where im being victimized by the local government and it statred with a court personal helping me file paper work on a clear as day self defense case and she made me take a gilty plea and then i got black maild by an ex girlfriend who noticed I couldnt get an apt by my self and she took custody of our child and i whent in to settle for a resonable amount because i was told to do so by the local human resources official and they increased and even added on the back support that she had waved and when i try to call the district number i get an autoprogram and a hospital number and they say they don't handle those things
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


Can you explain what it is that you are trying to get done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lower my child support amount per month
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

You need to file a motion to suspend or modify your child support. And when you are given the opportunity to argue your case before the judge, you have to be prepared to prove to the judge that there has been a substantial change to your circumstances such that a lowering of your monthly payments are necessary.

In some instances success with a motion like this can be easy to accomplish but in most cases it is not. If you are having difficulty doing this for yourself, you probably need to have a lawyer do this for you, because in the meantime, you are still obligated to pay the full amount of child support.

If you can't afford a lawyer there are local pro bono services that can give you some hands on assistance so that you go about tryiing to get a modification the correct way for your jurisdiction. Here's a link to the various agencies that provide free assistance.

Another resource would be a local law school. Almost all law schools have legal clinics where law students take on cases for course credit under the supervision of a lawyer/professor. This is a free or low cost way to get your motion correctly drafted and argued before a judge.