Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I live in a condominium in San Diego. They hare refusing to

Customer Question

I live in a condominium in San Diego. They hare refusing to make reasonable accommodations for my Emotional Support Animal (ESA) in that she is not allowed to pee in the dirt next tot he garage or in the lawns along the public sidewalks. I've been told that even if I clean up after her, she is not allowed to go to relieve herself anywhere within the boundaries of the condominium that I pay to live in and keep maintained from the wild animals and cats that roam around and use my home as a bathroom constantly. I have also noticed there are no ADA parking spaces, ramps, or accessible elements for the facility (ie, not accessible to someone with a wheelchair). I am wondering if I have any legal ground to stand on to request these accommodations be made for me and other handicapped owners. They have made major renovation to the lobby in the past year without installing any ramps or accessible elements. Please let me know what you think.
Sincerely,
Kevin Schwartz
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kevin, absolutely. You need to first place them on legal notice of the issues by sending them a certified letter with a return receipt in which you tell them again of the issues, tell them this is official legal notice, and request that they inform you in writing of their decision to make these reasonable and legally required accommodations within 10 days of the post mark on the letter. Tell them if they do not contact you in that time frame, you will be forced to report them.

If they do not contact you with an affirmative answer to your liking that remedies the issues, then you need to contact the US Department of Justice in their ADA compliance office. Report the violations of your rights and others and request to file a formal complaint.

You can ulitmately potentially even file suit for damages based on these improprieties. The Justice Department can assert authority as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please also rate my answer positively.

Best Wishes!

Kevin, you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this issue. Best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, this is great! I will let you know if I have any questions.Thanks again!
Kevin

I appreciate it. If you don't mind, please rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars on the rating system on your end) so that I can receive credit for my work.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Just checking with you to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible with this issue moving forward. Thanks