John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I work with a companny, Five Brothers mortgage default ser

Customer Question

I work with a companny, Five Brothers mortgage default ser vices, and they want to "backcharge" us for inspections that they say they had to reassign to other vendors because they were late. The backcharge is $25 for EACH INSPECTION. we only get paid $9 for each inspection. Is this legal. We never signed anything stating a backcharge of $25 would be assesed for late orders.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

As a contractor there is no legal prohibition against back charges. They could charge you back charges in only two instances a) you contractually agreed to back charges, or b) your lateness indeed costed them $25 per inspection, in which case they could claim you breached the contract by not timely doing the inspection and they had to go into the market and pay someone else $25 to do the inspection. Whether you were late or not, I have no idea, but that would be what they could claim.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you're otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.