Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

We recently solicited Home Depot new kitchen in our home. We

Customer Question

We recently solicited Home Depot for a new kitchen in our home. We paid $150 for a professional measure & estimation. They submitted a quote back to us for $11,170 in labor for a "premium" install that included removal of old cabinets, new cabinet installation, backsplash, electric & under cabinet lighting. We designed the kitchen with THD based on their measure, and then agreed to complete the project. We applied for a loan through THD credit service for $45,000 to include cabinets, labor, appliances, etc. Upon agreeing to the project, the subcontractor for labor came out and more than doubled the labor quote for the exact same scope of work to $23,932. We requested an itemization of the two quotes to explain the large discrepancy and we were refused. We requested that THD provide us an additional quote from another sub contractor, and were refused. We filed a claim with the corporate office, and they sent us a legal document "settlement & release agreement" stating they would pay us $300 after we returned the document to repair the holes they placed in our soffit. We are confused, and have no idea how this became a legal matter.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

This became a legal matter once they submitted a quote to you and you then agreed to the price for the labor, presumably in writing. So they are scared that you are going to sue them now for breach of contract because someone either make a very big mistake in quoting you, or the subcontractor decided to milk the project for twice the agreed on amount. In either situation, it makes HD look very bad and if you have a written contract, they are worried you are going to sue them.

.

So they are trying to quietly back out of the deal and refund your money and put in a little to boot to make up for any damages.

.

.

thanks