Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

If an 18 year old foreign student is under investigation,

Customer Question

if an 18 year old foreign student is under investigation, but not charged with a crime (second degree sodomy with a 15 year old girl), am I committing a crime by just sending him home to Cezh Replic.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If there's no warrant out for his arrest and he is not yet charged with anything, the answer is that you are probably not committing a crime by sending him home, if by that you mean paying for his airline tickets. However, just to be on the safe side, please give me the US state in which this is taking place, so that I can look up the statute.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alabama
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked over the Alabama Obstructing justice statute and it doesn't apply to your situation. Again, if there's no warrant, no charges, and he's not under court mandate, he's at liberty to travel freely wherever he chooses and your helping him to go home would not constitute a crime.