Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I wantd to know because I disabled can the debt two leases

Customer Question

I wantd to know because I disabled can the debt for breaking two leases be forgven and taken off my credit report
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is unfortunately nothing in the law that would call for the debt to be taken off your credit. The Fair Credit Reporting Act allows creditors to report when people owe them money. The debt would have to be incorrect before you could have it removed. While there are laws that require people, including landlords, to make accommodations for persons with disabilities, those accommodations do not extend to debt forgiveness. A landlord does not have to allow a tenant to break a lease without paying a penalty, and if the tenant does not pay, those debts remain on your credit.

You could seek to have the debt discharged as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, but that will harm your credit rating further, and it could take years to recover. But that might allow you to avoid paying the debts if you don't have the money.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well one of the two debts is a judgement. The judgement in the courthouse does not indicate how much I owe but the leasing dept of the apartment says to pay them direct which I'am. Once I do that I was told I had to physically go to the court and remove the judgement. How do I that? I just want to make sure once it is paid that if I apply for another apartment that the "judgement" dosen't cause my appilcation for a apartment to be denied
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Once the judgement is paid, you can file a Motion for Relief from Judgment on the grounds that it's been satisfied in full. This is fairly routine and should be granted without a hearing as long as your math is correct and the judgment is paid.
Once you get notice that the judgement has been dismissed, you can send a copy of it to the credit bureaus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long will it take the judgement to be dismissed? The second debt the collection agency agree to settle the amount from $1111 to $723. Do I get a letter of agreenment then once paid another letter of satisfaction and submit to the credit bureau too? If it's "settled" and not "paid in full" does that affect my chances when applying for an apartment?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Once the debt is paid, you should be able to get it dismissed fairly quickly. The exact time depends on how busy the courthouse is.

If you've paid in full the settled amount, the debt will stop showing as owed on your credit report, which is when your credit rating can start to improve. They will still see the judgment, though, for up to 7 years after the status is updated. That can affect whether some people are willing to rent you an apartment, but seeing that a judgment is paid is much better than seeing that it's not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will coming to a lower agreed settlement amount affect me being approved compared to paying in full?How long does it take the credit bureau to remove something negative off my crèdit report?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Credit bureaus don't remove negative marks for 7 years usually, but you can sometimes request to have it removed after 3 or 4. A settlement could hurt you in the short run a little, if they show that part of the debt was charged off, but in the long run it shouldn't matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
paying it in full will not take it off my credit report as well as doing the a settlement? A little confused
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Nothing will remove it from your credit report 100% except time. Paying it will change it so it shows as paid. So will settling it, but they could still mark that you settled instead of paying in full.