Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I work in Colorado and have a totally abscentee landlord. I

Customer Question

I work in Colorado and have a totally abscentee landlord. I had the roof fixed at my expense ($12,500) 5 years ago by Murray Roofing....with a 10 year warrantee. The roof has been leaking and I called Murray roofing. It's an answering machine that never leads to a call back. There are alternative numbers and I reached one of them who sent someone to look at it. The man had me go up to the roof to show me how poorly the job was done. Even to an untrained eye, it was horrible. Well, the Murray contact that I found won't return calls either.
Clearly no permits were ever pulled. It seems like Murray roofing has franchises or multiple locations. Do I have any legal recourse?
Thanks
Jay
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

In short, yes, you do have recourse for the poor workmanship and the breach of the warranty. Since they are not answering your calls, then you have a tacit breach of warranty as you cannot even start the process of having a warranty fix on the issues. As such, the statute of limitations for the breach of warranty has just started, meaning you are not barred from filing suit based on this being a fix from 5 years ago.

So, yes, you do have legal recourse for breach of warranty. You should be able to get damages sufficient to cover your costs to have the roof replaced plus damages relative to the shoddy work product. You may also be able to receive attorney fees as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please also rate my answer positively.

Best!

Did you have any additional questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this important issue. Thanks