Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I rented a cub from a company<I admit was little behind..

Customer Question

I rented a cub from a company<I admit was little behind.. told them would be a week or so, just got back in town. had put my mother in hospital... came home to find it repo, had valuable collectables etc in there the way that truck is probably damaged most... only owed like $355 thing is I had fence up at my drive with no trespassing.. they went around and went through neighbors yard broke the LAW.. criminal trespassed . to get it.. can I sue and have them arrested for doing this.. yes I was behind but TN has laws on this .they BROKE.. that should void the contract with them. asfar as legality...plus sue for actual and punitive damages. he runs a business should know the law...
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The owner of the item had every right to sue you for breaching your contract with him and to recover his property, but under TN law he is not allowed to trespass or violate the law to exercise self help and recover his property by repossession. So, if he did violate the law by trespassing on your property, then you have grounds to sue for the unlawful repossession and for all damages he caused you to suffer, such as the damage to the property and also punitive damages for his willful violation of the law.