LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in Holyoke MA and I have a summons to appear in court

Customer Question

I live in Holyoke MA and I have a summons to appear in court for not appearing at an initial court date for not paying my dog license feel. I never received the first letter - Holyoke doesn't serve them. They come via regular mail. I have heard a few stories in the news lately of people being arrested and jailed for this. I am concerned that if I appear for the arraignment on 10/27, they won't fine me but will imprison me.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The first step is curing the problem and paying whatever fee is owed. Then, you want to explain to the court and show good cause, as to why you did not appear. If you simply did not get the letter, you need to advise the Judge of the same. Moreover, you want to explain the steps you took, to cure all this, once you did find out there was an issue and that it was remedied. Jailing someone for this seems extreme, when the failure to appear was not intentional.