Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

How can the montgomery county police hold your drivers

Customer Question

how long can the montgomery county police hold your drivers license without officially charging you or reading you your rights
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

There is no set amount of time in the law in Texas in which they may hold your license without officially charging you with a crime. That said, they are to act reasonably and they are to observe your Constitutional due process rights in carrying out their duties. If they do not, then they can be held liable as a result thereof.

With that being the case, since you have not been charged with a crime and certainly have not been convicted here, you driver license is still technically valid. As such, you can go to the DMV and purchase a duplicate license so that you can drive around until they officially charge you and suspend your license...if they even take that course of action.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments and please rate my answer positively as well.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks