John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Someone lies about saying they are represented by an

Customer Question

Someone lies about saying they are represented by an attorney who doesn't.... what is this called and what can be done?
I just sent someone a cease and desist notice for copyright infringement upon my ad placed on craigslist. She copied it word for word a large portion of it, then reflected her prices to undermine me and steal my business which I know already is unfair competition as well that I can sue for damages....
So what can I do to scare her enough to stop with her lies and infringement?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

This happens all the time. People, I think erroneously, believe that stating they are represented by an attorney will get them favorable treatment or for the opposing party to drop the matter. So, they say they have an attorney when they in fact do not. It's plainly lying, but it is not a crime or a even a civil cause of action. Unless a person has a fiduciary duty to you, which a random person off the street does not, then their lying to you unless it is for some type of pecuniary gain like a sale is not fraud or fraud in the inducement. Obviously this person has no intention of stopping her practice based on you cease and desist. So, you'll need to in fact file a lawsuit for an injunction for unfair trade practice competition and infringement.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't currently have a paycheck this week, but as soon as I get paid again, I will rate you. If i do it now, it will deduct from my account and people like this lady are to blame.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Great thanks