Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

What does it mean notice to the judgment debtor of

Customer Question

What does it mean notice to the judgment debtor of garnishment of other than personal earnings
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

That means that the creditor is seeking to garnish any other form of income that you might have that is not related to money that you earn from you work. This can be an attempt to garnish things like alimony or payments that you may be receiving from an annuity, or dividends that you receive from a stock payment, or other money that you receive that is not based on a salary or hourly wage job.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean that they can't touch my state Ohio teacher's retirement plan that goes into my bank

Yes...your teachers retirement is exempt from being garnished pursuant to R.C. 145.56, 145.95, 742.47, 2329.66(A)(10), 2929.192(D) and (F), 3305.09 bill), 3307.41, 3309.66, and 5505.22). In addition, these retirement benefits are exempt from execution, garnishment, attachment, or sale to satisfy a judgment or order, except when a court, in certain cases, issues an order for restitution.

So, you can rest easy there and if they attempt to attach your retirement, you should contact the court and let them know to prevent any further collection attempts from your retirement.

Just checking on you to see if you had any additional questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!