CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I RECEIVED A IRS BILL FOR APPROX.$3300 FROM INDIANA ON MY

Customer Question

I RECEIVED A IRS BILL FOR APPROX.$3300 FROM INDIANA ON MY DECEASED HUSBAND FOR THE YEAR 1981. I DID NOT KNOW MY HUSBAND UNTIL 2003, WE MARRIED IN 2004. HE DIED WITH LUNG CANCER IN 2010. WE WERE MARRIED 6 YEARS. THIS BILL OCCURED 23 YEARS BEFORE MY MARRIAGE TO HIM. DO I HAVE TO PAY THIS BILL??? I LIVE ON SOC SEC, I AM 73 YEARS OLD.
I SENT A COPY OF HIS DEATH AND OUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND I RECEIVED A SECOND BILL THIS WEEK. PLEASE HELP.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

You are not liable for this IRS invoice.

However, it is going to be very important to be proactive in documenting your communications with the IRS, and ensure that you do not miss any appeals deadlines associated with the claim (review the documentation you receive carefully, and ask the agent(s) you speak with for any appeals information if necessary.

Hopefully they will be able to deal with this matter without going through the formal administrative appeals process (they should be able to do so).

Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.