Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My question is if a person is on their own property washing

Customer Question

Hi Andrea; My question is if a person is on their own property washing their car, gardening or just taking the trash out and their doing this in the nude in the city of Grand Coulee, Washington is this person breaking any laws.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Washington State has a statute that outlaws "indecent exposure". See: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.88.010 The fact that the exposure takes place on private property, is not relevant. If it takes place out of doors, and in view of other members of the public, then this statute could be applied to it. I hope that this information is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you.

Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you so much for requesting me,

With respect to your question, the issue is not whether or not an individual is free to do the things in the nude, if he is on his own property. The issue is whether or not his nudity can be seen by other property owners in the neighborhood. For example if an individual wanted to wash his car on his property and be totally nude while washing his car, would this be permissible ? It would be permissible, if and only if, neighbors and passers-by could not see his nudity because his property was surrounded by dense foliage or bushes so that his nudity could not be seen by these passers-by and neighbors. If his property were not surrounded by dense foliage and bushes, and people passing by were able to see his nudity, this would constitute indecent exposure and would constitute a crime for which he could be prosecuted. You might want to argue that passers-by have no business looking at him, but the counter-argument would be that if there is nothing to hide his nudity from the public, this individual would be subject to prosecution for indecent exposure. In that case, the individual must make sure that the shrubs and foliage on his property is dense enough so that the public is not subjected to his nudity. You might also want to argue that passers-by have no business looking at him. Well, the counter-argument to this is that someone who is out for a stroll, or walking his dog, or taking his children to the park, is not aware that someone is stark naked, even if he is standing on his property and the law protects members of the public from unwittingly looking his way and seeing a man who was totally naked and washing his car. We do not have the Ordinances and Statutes that govern every Township and County here at JustAnswer and at our disposal, but as the previous expert stated, the Statutes of Washington State would also govern nudity in public and it is held to be impermissible and constitutes a crime for which one can be criminally prosecuted,

Please be kind enough to leave a Positive rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for Answsering your question. You have already placed a deposit with JustAnswer, so leaving a positive rating will not cost you anything additional, but it is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. Positive Feedback and Bonus are greatly appreciated,

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA