Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was a quality control lead inspector at a cabinet factory

Customer Question

I was a quality control lead inspector at a cabinet factory in Wisconsin for 12 yrs.and was looking for jobs in Missouri and was offered one by a company that made promises as to the effect they adding another inspection line...so we moved to Missouri,well after 90 days of nobody saying anything other that hows it going they called me in the office and reduced my pay by $1.75/hr....that was almost 2 yrs ago....the dept. went w/o a team leader for almost a year and a half then they hired in some ex-military guy well after 90 days of his ooorahhh charm they made him team leader and he is no wheres near qualified as me...Is there anything I can do here????
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, unless you had a written contract for employment that guaranteed you pay and position for a certain time, employment in MO is considered to be at will. This means legally the employer can pick and choose what they want to do with pay and positions of employees so long as they do not do so ONLY based on age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. I am afraid also that the statute of limitations on these types of claims is only 300 days from the date it occurred, so you also have waited too long regarding the demotion if there was any illegal discrimination based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin.