Cerecita
Cerecita,
1470369

I am traveling tomorrow and I just noticed my passport has

Customer Question

I am traveling tomorrow and I just noticed my passport has my maiden name on it. Can I use a marriage license to supplement the passport? Thank you!!
Stephanie
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Stephanie and welcome!

I have just a few questions so I can better assist you:

--Are you traveling domestically or internationally, tomorrow?

--Do you have a driver's license or any other form of government issued, photo identification that includes either both your maiden name and married name or just your married name?

--How does your ticket/boarding pass read? Does it have your first, (middle name or initial) and your married name or your maiden and married name?

--How long ago did you get married?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a little time to get an answer back to you.

Best wishes,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am traveling internationally. I do have a drivers license and a government id with my married name, but they do not match my passport. My ticket reads Stephanie Henry and my passport reads ***** *****. I got married 3 years ago. My drivers license has my maiden name and married name on it.

Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Stephanie and thanks for your prompt reply.

If your driver's license has both your maiden name and married name on it and you have your marriage license to bring with you when you show your passport, there should be no problem, as any security screener can see that both names are ***** ***** and you can prove both names belong to you. The name on your driver's license and passport and the name on your ticket are supposed to match, but any confusion will be cleared up when you show your marriage license. The TSA also has publicly available databases to search, if necessary.

However, you are supposed to apply for a change on your passport when you get married, and add your married name. Your identification should be fine when you are screened by TSA at the airport you're leaving from, in the USA, but I can't say whether you will have any problem showing your passport with your maiden name, when you arrive in whichever country you are flying to, and going through Customs, both going and coming back into the US. Presenting all the other ID's and your marriage license, should help there too, but it would be a good idea to call your airline to make sure. If there's any way you can change your ticket to include both your maiden and married names, this would simplify things.

If there are any 'Quick/Rush Passport' offices open near you today, I would suggest getting a new passport, including your married name, if possible.

Since you may need additional screening due to the names not matching on all your ID materials, passport and ticket, it would be a good idea to leave extra time at the airport, for this. I'd leave an hour in advance.

Here is more information:

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/can-i-use-my-passport-with-my-maiden-name-and-my-marriage-certificate-to-travel.html

If you need any additional information, you can call the TSA Contact Center:

(866)(###) ###-####/a>

Weekdays:
8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET

Weekends/Holidays:
9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET

---------------------------------

I wish you much good luck and safe travel!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher