Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My neighbor - new to the neighborhood and wanting the use of

Customer Question

My neighbor - new to the neighborhood and wanting the use of some of our property - has threatened me, an 80 year old woman the day she came out of the hospital after heart surgery with the following comment: "Don't you ever come on my property."
He made this statement while standing on OUR property.
I didn't say anything but feel threatened by him every time he make a threatening remark or even just glares at me.
How do I deal with this potentially violent and threatening man?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Beyond those comments, have there been any other incidents or issues between you both? How long ago was this comment made to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The latest accusation by him was made about a week ago.
Earlier this spring he asked me very friendly if he could take a few branches down from a tree on our property.
We agreed and - he took practically the entire tree down.
His TV cable had been buried by the cable company on our property and when discovered he was required to bury the cable away from our property.

Thank you for your follow-up. To be honest, I do not see enough here for the police or the courts to claim that you were in danger, so I am not yet seeing a basis for a restraining order or a call for trespassing. I agree that he potentially trespassed on your property if he was there and made this comment to you, but if you told him to leave and he did, the issue is resolved. Next time if it happens call the police and press charges for harassment and trespassing, but at this point there would not be enough for the police to pursue him since the comment made to you, while threatening in nature, did not specifically promise any sort of physical harm or damages. As such ignoring that neighbor is likely best, ***** ***** the police close if he begins to try to bully you directly.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.