Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My ford truck was seized by the athen tn police today. My

Customer Question

My ford truck was seized by the athen tn police today. My friend was driving it. His license was revoked a few days earlier so neither of us was aware of it. My boyfriend was the passenger...his license is expired. My friend got pulled over and arrested and they seized the truck and called me to tell me I can go to court in a month and try and get it back. Is it legal for them seize my truck???
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The answer that I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. I am afraid that if the vehicle was stopped when the operator was arrested for a crime, the vehicle can be seized. Since this person, the operator, used the vehicle with your permission or consent, by extension you are seen as partially liable for the fact that he was on the road. The law does not require it that the person own the vehicle, merely that he operates it, and if that vehicle is operated with consent (meaning it wasn't stolen or taken without permission), you run the same risk if someone who uses your vehicle is not lawfully permitted to do so. I am afraid that your recourse is against your friend, meaning that you can file suit for all costs and damages stemming from the seizure and the costs for you to get the vehicle back.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your right...I don't like your answer!! Thx for your time

You are most welcome, truly. I do not blame you for not being happy but I owe you a duty to give you the best answer, even if it is not favorable, so that you can make the best decision with the facts provided. I genuinely wish you the very best going forward.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.