CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I own a horse. When we registered m I put it in my

Customer Question

I own a horse. When we registered him I put it in my daughter's name because it was less expensive. She is turning 18 in a month and I have been told that she's gonna sell him. The bill of sale is in my name. Who has ownership? Also do I need her to sign the transfer paper to add my name too?
Thank you
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
  1. If you registered the horse in your daughter's name, she arguably now owns the horse. She can utilize the registration as proof of the gift of the horse and utilize that to sell the animal as her own property (no other documentation is necessary or required).
  2. You could argue that the registration was not in fact a gift, but this wouldn't hold up very well (she has the stronger claim to ownership).
  3. It is not necessary for the recipient of a gift to sign the document in order to accept the gift.