CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

The defendents in my small claims court asked me to direct

Customer Question

the defendents in my small claims court asked me to direct all correspondence to their attorney. attorneys do not represent clients in small claims cout. am I obligated to answer the attorney to present my case before hearing
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You can ignore the attorney (although it may be good practice to simply "CC" him on your correspondence - ignoring them is not going to make the issue go away, and the attorney is simply going to start coaching their client, making things more complicated, by including the attorney in a "CC" you can clearly assert that you are addressing the correspondence to the party, but are forwarding the correspondence to the attorney as a "courtesy" (hence "courtesy copy") and make it clear that you expect communication to continue with the party directly).

This is a strategy call for you to make, as noted, the "CC" to the attorney is simply a suggestion to help you avoid unnecessary complications in the future - you will also appear in an even more favorable light should any dispute over communication arise in the future (you not only properly served the party, but sent a courtesy notice to their lawyer).