Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I have a verbally abusive girlfriend on my lease in CA. She

Customer Question

I have a verbally abusive girlfriend on my lease in CA. She is making threats to cause more trouble for me and my son (not hers). Can the landlord remove her from the lease without her consent?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If the girlfriend is listed on the lease, then she will have to be in material breach of the lease in order for the landlord to have the legal authority to have her removed. Take a look at the lease and any provisions therein that allow the landlord to remove someone for conduct detrimental the the facility and its tenants, for breaching the peace, etc. If there is language in the lease which approximates her conduct, then you and the landlord can have her removed.

Moreover, you can file a restraining order against her and have her legally removed from the premises. If the temporary restraining order is later converted into a permanent restraining order or injunction, then no matter what the lease says, the landlord would have grounds to remove her from the lease.

So, you have two options: Explore the language of the lease and see if there is anything that would give the landlord the right to remove her, and/or file a restraining order against her on behalf of yourself and your child and have the landlord remove her based on those grounds.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward!

Did you have any additional questions? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!

Just checking in one last time. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks