Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I privately sold a firearm to an employee of an FFL back in

Customer Question

I privately sold a firearm to an employee of an FFL back in 2009. I was military and he was a resident of VA where I was stationed.
I was going through my paperwork the other day and realized my bill of purchase when I originally purchased the firearm vs. the handbill of sale were not the same serial number (a number was transposed 8 instead of a 9). I am pretty certain the serial on the handbill of sale is correct (we hand wrote it together, but that was 6 years ago so memory is fuzzy). If the FFL who sold me the firearm had incorrectly typed the serial on the bill of sale to me what is my legal liability/obligation? Additionally, if the serial was incorrectly handwritten on the bill of sale what is my legal liability/obligation?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If the number was transposed and there is no intent to deceive, I suggest there are no criminal consequences. However, if you kept accurate records of the purchaser of your private sale, you could consider contacting them and verifying the number for accuracy so that they can then make corrections on any registration that might have occurred.

Only Machine guns are required to be registered in VA. So if it was not a Machine Gun, then it would be a simple verification and correction process between you and the buyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would I do if the FFL was the one who had incorrectly typed the Serial in?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

It seems it would be an innocent mistake. That happens. You can go back and verify the number with your seller and your buyer. But again, it is only to correct the sale records. There is no registration for firearms unless a machine gun. So the VA State police do not need to be notified. It appears inadvertent, innocent and an easy fix.