Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My hospital keeps asking me as a physician to retro actively

Customer Question

My hospital keeps asking me as a physician to retro actively date orders for items like wound care, diabetes education, etc. Is it legal for me to sign an order but date it for a previous date? It feels incorrect since I did not actually order previously but by signing am saying I did.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, with extensive experience in the regulation of physicians and other health care professionals. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The practice of back dating orders is NOT a correct practice and it can get you into difficuties with your State Board. Additionally, if you are sued for malpractice the fact that you back dated orders will be used against you to try to show that you have falsified medical records. Lastly, if the back dated orders are being used to obtain reimbursement, you may become entanged in insurance fraud or medicare/medicaide fraud allegations.

You need to discuss this with the compliance officer at the hospital, and if necessary file a complaint with th Department of Health.

You also want to discuss this situation with your own attorney. You should take steps to protect yourself now from potential problems this can create for you in the future.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.