John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I have a former employee who is owed commissions and is

Customer Question

I have a former employee who is owed commissions and is witholding company property (laptop/ipad). Our company is not financially able to pay commissions until we receive some customer payments, at which point we will make payment. Is what he is doing legal?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

No, it's not legal what he is doing. Your best recourse would be to sue in small claims for an action of replevin; i.e. to force him to give back property that you essentially had on loan to him. You could also try to file a police report, likely though, thy will tell you it's a civil matter and to file in civil court.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.