Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago and got part of

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago and got part of my lung removed (non-smoker). I recovered but seem to have some cognitive impairment. I have a 26 year old son who recently had me committed for 72 hours for mental issues (which i thought was unnecessary).
The insurance company now is sending me a STandard Authorization Form with his name for approval that he have access to my medical records.
CAn you name any problems I might encounter if I give him access to my medical records? Is there anything I should be aware of? Is this a good idea to do?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The biggest issue with granting anyone access to your files is just that, access. If you trust your son, then such access is fine, but keep in mind that your medical records, if shared with your son, can be used by your son for your benefit or against it. You mentioned a 72 hour committment--if your son sees other issues put in place by your doctor, he may commit you again, or can file for guardianship and conservatorship so that he would have the ability to make decisions for you which unlike a power of attorney you would not be able to overturn. So if you trust your son, granting access is fine, but if you do not believe he has your best interest at heart, then access can be dangerous.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.