How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28448
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left the scene of an traffic accident, I was lost and got

Customer Question

I left the scene of an traffic accident, I was lost downtown and got confused , I didn't find the other driver. Their insurance company contacted me and they damage is getting handled through the vehicle owners insurance. He is concerned and so am I do i need to contact the police now about the accident? As far as I know there was just property damage
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Texas Transp. Code, Section 550.026 requires an immediate report of an accident if the vehicles involved are so damaged they cannot be driven safely or if someone is injured. If no one is hurt and the cars can be driven away from the scene, you do not have to contact the police. You are required to stop and exchange information with the other driver under Section 550.022, but you didn't have to file a police report. If you wound up driving away and the other driver did not report you, notifying the police typically would not benefit you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other driver notified the police and our insurance companies are working it out. So I do need to contact the police
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Not unless they contact you.