P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My roommate was has a felony tampering with a witness charge

Customer Question

My roommate was has a felony tampering with a witness charge that was set aside but has lost his gun rights for 10 years. He's been without any legal issues or contact with law enforcement in the last 7 years and wonders if there is a way to get this right reinstated before the 10 years that was handed down by the judge. The charges were in Nebraska. We are wondering if there is a possibility of getting his rights back in the next year and if so, how to go about it. He's an avid trap shooter and hunter and would love to be able to get back into enjoying his hobby.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

Federal law prohibits a convicted felon from possession of a firearm. So in order for your roommate to be able to possess a weapon, he would need "restore" his rights.

Practically speaking the only way to accomplish this, at this point (after 10 years), would be with a pardon.

He can apply to the governor in the state in which he was convicted,for a pardon. If he is granted a pardon, that would remove the conviction and allow him to possess a firearm again.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.