Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

How does it take to consider personal property abandoned.

Customer Question

How long does it take to consider personal property abandoned.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

What sort of property and how did it come into your possession?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my Fiance and I had a falling out And she moved back home And left all of her stuff here along with Baby stuff and I have let her know that the stuff is still her and she can come and get it anytime she wants but she has not acknowledged any communication between her and I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just clothes and Miscellaneous items
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. To be safe, follow the statutory provisions for tenant abandoned personal property:

"The landlord may take possession of the property, store it at tenant's expense, and sell or otherwise dispose of it after 30 days. At least 15 days prior to the sale or disposition, the landlord must publish notice of his intention at least once in a newspaper of general circulation in the county where the dwelling unit is located. Within seven days after publication, the landlord must mail a copy of the published notice to the tenant at his last known address. The notice must include the tenant's name, a brief description of the property, and the approximate date on which the landlord intends to sell or otherwise dispose of it.

During the time the landlord has possession, the tenant may redeem the property after paying the landlord for holding and preparing the property for sale and for any other outstanding debt, including rent.

Any proceeds from the sale or other disposition of the property must be used to offset (1) reasonable costs to store the property and prepare it for sale or disposition, give notice, and sell or dispose of it; and (2) any amount the tenant owes the landlord. The landlord may retain any residual."

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?