Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I m a member of the IBEW and we have an annuity, I have to

Customer Question

I m a member of the IBEW and we have an annuity, I have to be of work for a year before I get it , or 6 months if I have disability ....problem is I have issues with the contractor and the union if 6 months go by I cant file grievance or file charges against
the employer ... can they, the union , take my annuity or hold it if I sue them or the contractor..
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that the annuity can only be paid when you meet the terms and conditions contained in the plan description. If you do not meet those terms and conditions, then they do not have to pay out on the annuity.

If you have an issue with the contractor you were working for, you can sue them for breach of your contract and seek damages, but that is completely different from your rights to the annuity. If you have issues against your contractor and union, those are separate and something you would have to sue the contractor and union over to get what you believe you are entitled to.